October 16th, 2019 by mjp-admin
A client of mine from some years ago, Mrs. X, chose a proactive stance in tackling her first Thanksgiving holiday alone after her divorce. Determined to not simmer in a sulk and drown herself in solitude with a bottle of dry Chardonnay, she chose to serve the impoverished instead. Ironically, by nourishing the needy in the St. Louis community with a holiday meal,
August 15th, 2019 by Marta J. Papa
Once you have decided with certainty that a divorce is in your best interest, I recommend following these four steps:
1. Back Off From Social Media
This first step is essential. If you are unhappy in your marriage, it is not unusual for others to know about it, especially if you are inclined to share personal information on Facebook and other social media sites.
November 15th, 2017 by Marta J. Papa
Mediation is an option when one or both parties are concerned with privacy during divorce. In divorce mediation, there are:
- No public court hearings;
- No depositions;
- No submissions of evidence;
- No courtroom testimony;
- No discovery.
To further maintain privacy, in mediation, we can file your divorce documents in a different county so nothing is filed with your local court.
October 13th, 2017 by Marta J. Papa
Lay the Groundwork: Your child may not be involved in sports just yet but it’s important to consider extracurricular activities that may come in the not so distant future during your divorce negotiations. “Talk to your divorce lawyer about how to factor in these kinds of expenses. In your settlement talks, you might consider addressing such issues as: how will you split payment for lessons (any kinds of lessons: from art to music to sports)?
October 5th, 2017 by Marta J. Papa
There’s no question, divorce is expensive. Splitting your assets and paying attorneys fees can make you feel weak in the knees. The following list offers options to help curb some of those painful divorce expenditures and make you feel more in control.
- Pay attention to your spending. Keep a detailed log tracking how money is being spent each month.
September 27th, 2017 by Marta J. Papa
- Exercise self-care.Whether you’ve been neglecting your health or appearance, it’s time to set aside part of your day for you. For those of you who swear you don’t have even five minutes to spare, I assure you five minutes is all it takes to make a difference in your life. With five minutes you can meditate, do a few sit-ups in your living room,